New Sweetwater County History Documentary Available Online
FRESHWATER COUNTY – A video about a special chapter in Sweetwater County’s history – in fact, its living history – is now available online, the Sweetwater County Historical Museum.
Produced by museum staff and volunteers, A History of Superior, Wyoming – An Interview with Frank Prevedelcan be found on the museum Youtube channel.
Prevedel is the author of Superior and Superior South, one of the “Images of America” series. He was born and raised in Superior and South Superior, graduated from the University of Wyoming and went on to a distinguished career as an educator.
Advertisement – The story continues below…
The Horsethief Canyon communities of Superior and South Superior, about 23 miles northeast of Rock Springs, originated in the early 1900s as mining towns. Superior was incorporated as a town in February 1911, followed by South Superior a month later. As the demand for coal declined in the mid-twentieth century, so did Superior. In 1963, the city government voted to formally dissolve its incorporation and the small town ceased to exist. South Superior, on the other hand, survived, and in 1984 South Superior was officially renamed Superior, and its approximately 300 residents take pride in its status as the “Living Ghost Town” of Sweetwater County.
A Story of Superior, Wyoming is part of the Smithsonian Institution’s “Museum on Main Street” project, co-organized by the Sweetwater County Historical Museum, Wyoming Humanities/ThinkWY and the Green River Chamber of Commerce. The museum also extended special thanks to Senior Mayor Dominic Wolf.
Prevedel’s Superior and Superior South is available at the museum bookstore in Green River and online at Amazon.
Watch the video below.