Job posting: Toronto Blue Jays Baseball Systems Developer
Position: Baseball Systems Developer
Primary objective: The Toronto Blue Jays are seeking a talented and versatile developer to join our growing R&D team in Baseball Operations. In this role, you will help design and build software that supports users across the organization and impacts areas such as player assessment, scouting, and player development.
The Blue Jays believe that diversity and employment equity are essential to creating a successful culture. Applicants who traditionally do not feel qualified to apply for a job in this field are strongly encouraged to apply. Please feel free to include your questions about the position with your application or contact [email protected]
To apply, please submit an application at the link below:
- Work closely with the research and development team to add new functionality to our existing suite of web applications.
- Help design and build new applications to take advantage of new sources of data and video, technology, internal research or to enable other organizational initiatives.
- Contribute to code review, software testing, documentation and maintenance of internal tools and other collaborative software engineering tasks.
- Participate in the technical decision making that will shape the next generation of Blue Jays baseball systems.
- Professional developer with experience in designing and building web applications or other software.
- Very good command of at least one general purpose programming language (Python, Ruby, Java, C #, PHP or similar).
- Good understanding of database development and data architecture principles, solid working knowledge of SQL (particularly MS SQL Server or PostgreSQL).
- Effective communicator – able to communicate with non-technical users to understand their roles and requirements and to propose appropriate solutions.
- Strong problem-solving skills – find pragmatic solutions to data and engineering problems within deadlines or technological constraints.
- Attention to detail – anticipates and identifies problems early, strives to produce high quality, reliable work.
- Invested in learning and acquiring new skills, both technical and non-technical.
- Passion for baseball and interest in the statistical and analytical aspects of the game.
We are more interested in your passion for software development and problem solving than in your experience with a particular technology. The following technologies or areas reflect potential examples of projects that could apply for this role and experience with any of them is beneficial but not required.
- Frameworks of web applications such as Django, Flask, Rails or similar.
- Visualization of data using libraries such as D3, plotly, Three.js or ggplot.
- DevOps and CI / CD experience such as Azure DevOps, Github Actions or similar.
- Handling, modeling and visualization of data in R or Python.
- Experience with cloud services (Azure, AWS, GCP).
- Development and distribution of R or Python packages.
- Unix / Linux system administration and shell script.
The content for this post has been created and provided solely by the Toronto Blue Jays.