5 benefits of hiring a PHP developer
According to the US Board of Labor and Statistics, web development jobs will increase by 8% by 2029, which is much faster than average. This trend is not unique to the US market, it is a global phenomenon. All thanks to the increasing expansion of technology and the Internet around the world. That’s why a full-stack PHP developer is such a hot job at the moment. If you are wondering what PHP development is all about, and if you need to hire a PHP developer, then this article is for you.
PHP development in business
First, let’s define the role of PHP development for all types of businesses.
PHP is a server side scripting language which is mainly used for web pages or static / dynamic applications. A full-stack PHP developer works with this open source language for web development. It was released in 1995 but it is still in development and constantly updated.
How popular is PHP? Well 79% of all websites are written in PHP. Here are the well-known platforms created by PHP developers:
The reason for the popularity of this language is simple: it has many advantages to offer to businesses and individuals. The most striking are:
- Flexibility. It is supported by the majority of platforms and can be used on various operating systems including UNIX, macOS, Windows, and Linux. It is supported by almost all servers and can be used with 20 different databases, like MySQL. That’s why it’s perfect for cross-platform applications.
- Cost. As an open source and free language, it is extremely economical. There is no license required and it is distributed free of charge. It is particularly interesting for small businesses and startups.
- It has a diverse range of frames. A complete PHP web developer can choose one of the many helper frameworks to work with, making scripting easier and faster.
- Code reuse allows for rapid development and short release time. It is an object oriented language, which saves a lot of time.
- It is a perfect hosting option due to the simple development and the wide range of compatible solutions.
A business can simply extend the functionality of its website with hundreds of free addons and tools out of the box. There are many built-in security tools and the fact that the code is hidden from users makes it more protected.
Overall, PHP allows for fast and easy development of custom website and low budget web applications.
What PHP developers can do
If you’re still not sure whether to hire a full-stack PHP developer or not, take a look at what problems these professionals can solve for a business.
A range of responsibilities of these specialists include writing, testing, and maintaining code for web applications and websites. Professionals take care of the design of such solutions as well as troubleshooting and publication. They also ensure that the source code is fully compatible with other tools used, for example, a client-side language.
A PHP programmer can help you with:
- Build and publish a custom website or corporate web application designed according to their specific needs;
- Code analysis of a website or an existing solution. Such a professional can not only create new software, but also thoroughly analyze and update the existing one, add more features and increase its performance;
- Decide on the final functionality, design and layout of a website / app;
- Optimization of the existing database or development of a new one;
- Test and implement the developed solution eliminating any errors or errors;
- Maintain and upgrade the software developed to increase its efficiency or customer loyalty.
Usually, PHP professionals work in the server side logic of an application. Due to the low learning curve and the simplicity of the language, they can bring the project to life in a relatively short time.
Pros and Cons of Hiring PHP Engineers
To make an informed decision, let’s define the pros and cons of hiring such a professional for your project.
- The website is a major part of the success of any business. It is a digital representation of a brand, its values, its attention to detail, etc. PHP programmers are able to create custom, highly functional solutions that work with almost any operating system, platform, or device. It is a first choice for cross-platform software;
- PHP developers can create frameworks, content management systems, databases, web designs, and web template systems according to specific business needs;
- There are a large number of sources available, third-party solutions, educational materials and references available. It makes development fast and efficient;
- PHP is supported worldwide and offers higher loading speed for websites;
- It is a free and flexible solution that also works with MySQL, HTML and cloud platforms;
- Basically, a PHP engineer can do anything a business might need, from an HTML page to a large scale complex application access server.
- It’s a mature language, which means that there can be tricky ways of doing certain things, that there can be a certain baggage. But with expertise and experience, a programmer can work around this problem very well;
- Because it is an open source language, it implies that the security measures must be top notch. This does not mean that PHP per se is not secure, but rather that developers should be careful about it. An expert engineer will keep this in mind when planning the software architecture with protection in mind.
- Lack of libraries for specific needs, eg machine learning. There isn’t much to choose from when looking for a machine learning based app.
PHP Developer Salaries in the World
The cost of hiring such a specialist depends not only on their expertise, but also on their geographic location. Here are the annual rates in 5 different countries to compare.
United States – $ 90,294
United Kingdom – $ 78,348
Germany – $ 62,494
Switzerland – $ 92,790
Ukraine – $ 51,656
PHP is a great option for businesses looking for fast and flexible web development. Professionals working with this language can provide affordable but incredible functional solutions according to the most sophisticated requirements.